Search This Blog

Thursday, June 21, 2012

PT

Went to my first physical therapy appointment today, and while it hurt, it was also helpful.  I saw both a physical therapist and a student.  They were both really nice, which helped ease the tension I felt about being in a huge room with a bunch of others doing their therapy.  I didn't mind the big room though because I could still see the boys in the waiting room. 
I found out that the swelling in my right ankle and calf also was effecting my achilles and the bottom of my foot.  And as the student was massaging the areas, I also discovered that my calf was sore.  That was a bit weird....  I was pleased to find out though that the strength and agility is the same in both legs.  And, I got a weird since of confidence when they were talking about how my muscles were that of a runner.  I don't have runner's legs - they aren't slim and sinewy like the other runners I usually see.  But I was glad that I am transforming them below the surface.  Now if I can only get the fat and cellulite to go away, they might look a little better.
I was a little disheartened by the fact that I haven't been given a full green light to start working out again.  I knew that they wouldn't want me running yet - apparently the swelling is worse than the doctor led me to believe and it could do more damage if I started back.  I was hoping that they would say "go ahead with the elliptical", but nope.  They were okay with swimming, and the stationary bike would be okay too if it doesn't hurt too much.  I can lift weights too, but I can't really do that every day.  Kind of sucks.  Hopefully soon!  They seemed to be okay with getting me back to running as quickly as possible so that I can start training for the half marathon.  I have a feeling that I will have to walk along with running during the half, but for right now, I am okay with it. 
I got home with a list of excercises and stretches to do, and some massage techniques that should help with the swelling as well.  I also got home with a lot of pain, so I immediately put my leg in an ice bath, which did help.  I am going to be good and do my "homework" so that I can get back to my old self as soon as possible.  I am starting to get grumpy without my workouts!   :)

No comments:

Post a Comment