Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Falling Apart!

I feel like I am falling apart - and I only have shin splints and tendonitis!  I am a freak, right?  I am reading Born To Run right now, and a lot of it has to do with Chris McDougall trying to find his way to run.  He felt like he was getting injured all the time because he wasn't meant to run.  But it turns out that we were BORN TO RUN!  Well, maybe not me.  I have been feeling like that for a few weeks now.  I did my first 10k race on Memorial Day, and I have been having problems with my right ankle/calf since then.  Walking through the airport, through the mall, in the sand, and through the hotel.   I talked to a doctor a couple of days after I got back, and he said he thought it was tendonitis in my right ankle.  He put me on a Rx anti-inflamatory medicine and told me to go see a sport medicine doc.

I saw him today, and he said that I have tendonitis and shin splints.  I have to see a physical therapist, get new shoes, and do ice water baths a couple of times a day.  He seemed like he took an interest in me, asking me all kinds of questions unrelated to the injury.  He talked to my kids as well, which helped me ease up a little.  I was worried.  I have to start training for the half marathon in a week and a half, so how I am supposed to do that while injured????  I had to laugh though, he was asking about my shoes, my running, and when I started to run.  Then he said "why did you start running?"  All I could think of at the time was "Because I wanted to!". He laughed of course, but really, why does anyone start running?  They want to - because of health, meditation, relaxation, alone time, etc.  You have to want one of the benefits of running to go do it, don't you? 

Ice baths - I always thought they were for marathoners or ultra runners.  But he said I needed to ice my right leg up to almost my knee a couple of times a day for 15 minutes at a time.  This was funny though - he told me that I would probably not make it to even 10 minutes.  He said that the first little bit was okay, but between 8-10 minutes I would be struggling to keep my foot in.  If I could make it through the 10 minutes, then my foot would go numb and the 15 minutes wouldn't be a problem.  Challenge Accepted Dr. Genuario.  It sucked, but I made it through tonight.  Partly because he hurt me so badly while he was examining me this morning that no amount of medication could take away that pain. 

So, I am feeling positive by the fact that it is only shin splints, and that is the most common running injury out there.  I have an appt with the physical therapist tomorrow morning, and I hope that she has good new for me.  I want to start running again.  I want to start training again.  I want to get off my fat ass and get back to being the active girl I was 3 weeks ago!  I know that the heat is a big factor and that the 100 degree temperatures aren't helping, but I have high hope that I will be back to my old self again. 

I wore my Bolder Boulder shirt today, and in the mail today came my stats from the Bolder Boulder.  So really, there is a force out there telling me to get back in to the swing of my regular workouts.  I can't wait to get back out there and prove that I have what it takes to make it!  2 months before the Warrior Dash and 3 months until the half marathon.   I need to be better fast, but really, I am trying to be as patient as possible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment